Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Riots and Politicians in PAP

We ended up having to get up way earlier than originally expected due to riots in Port Au Prince. I am really not sure what they were about but I think it had something to do with electricity or something. Francky seemed really anxious to get going so we loaded up and took a back way in to PAP. About 3/4ths of the way there something was wrong with the Patrol. So we pulled over by some UN soldiers and the drivers went to take a look.apparently it wasn't a huge deal because we were back on the road in like five minutes. We reentered PAP and went to the airport but somehow we were the only car there. Adias called Tompi and had a short heated argument with him on the phone. Because Tompi outranked Adias we turned around and went to this incredibly lush hotel. The whole thing felt a little sketchy walking in because this wasn't on our schedule. We met one of the Haitian directors of 410 bridge there and he acted like we should have known about this all along. He introduced himself and told us that he ran for president of Haiti. He talked to us about leadership but I took everything he said with a grain of salt just because the whole thing didn't seem right. I just felt very uncomfortable with the whole situation. We asked some questions and then left for the airport again. The problems with the Patrol ended up coming back and we had to get out and push it to pop the clutch to get it started again. This wouldn't have been noteworthy except for the fact that we were in the middle of PAP with cars everywhere. The flight after that went off without a hitch to this point but now we are delayed for about an hour. As I write this in the Miami airport, I am like 5 gates away from the one we are leaving from since there are literally no other open outlets. This is kind of rediculous with how many people come through this airport but what can you do. Overall this trip has been incredible, eye opening, emotional, and fulfilling. I truly believe that all of us would say we were changed forever by this trip. I want to thank all of you who read this blog, I hope it wasn't too long and boring. I also want to thank oakbridge church on behalf of the team for helping to augment the cost of the internship, because I know there was no way I would be able to do this without you. And thanks to my parents as well for helping me specifically out. I am going to keep the blog updated in my personal life and the internship as a whole on the off chance anyone is interested as well. Thanks again for reading, it's nice to know do many people care about what the interns are doing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home